Thursday 1 January 2009

NOT for the Squeamish!

If you have ever wondered what your cervix looks like over the course of an entire menstrual cycle, then a 25-year-old woman has photographed hers using the macro function of a digital camera, a plastic speculum and a boyfriend holding a flash lamp! You can see her cervix here.

These photos are NOT for the squeamish!

I (Bunny) have seen the inside of my womb, which was fascinating. I was sterilised last year using Essure micro-inserts (small spring-like inserts made of nitinol). I have never had children and never want them. Essure is a non-cutting form of sterilisation, as the micro-inserts are inserted into the fallopian tubes via the cervix. I was able to watch the entire procedure on the monitor the consultant was using to view my fallopian tubes.

By the way, if you live in the UK, would like to be sterilised, haven't had children and have been led to believe that no doctor will perform such an operation on the NHS, Mr J. Clarke at Birmingham Women's Hospital will do so. You'll need to be referred by your GP. Your GP is far more likely to refer you if he believes that having children will be detrimental to your physical or mental well-being - I told mine that having children was my idea of hell (which was true, but it certainly worked).

No comments: